Royal Outfit of the Day: May 6 - WEDDING FLOWERS
News Update
Loading...

Royal Outfit of the Day: May 6

King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima, and Princess Beatrix attended the Liberation Day concert.
I saw this seated first, and I thought to myself that using the lawn as your skirt blanket is just ever so resourceful. But then I thought, hang on, this feels familiar...and YUP. As noted by ModekoninginMaxima, this is a repeat - from Queen Beatrix in 1981, of all things.
Now, I have often been accused of being something of a Máx apologist. And I am, as I often find that I like the spirit with which she pulls off her wacky ensembles enough to make all kinds of excuses for their failures. Who else would go into Beatrix's closet - can you imagine the wealth of bespoke gowns that must be stored there? - and pick the one that requires mowing?! Máxima is always good for a giggle, and that goes a long way towards winning my affection. But I promise you this: I will never have Máx blinders big enough to excuse those shoes.

Click here for a gallery.

You know, of course, that these super-repeats are nothing new. Princess Mabel wore Beatrix's engagement dress and Máxima loaned a gown to Princess Aimée for the inauguration, to name a couple Dutch examples. The Swedish royal family does the sharing thing all the time, and Princess Madeleine even chose an old gown of her mother's to wear to her wedding reception. Over in Luxembourg there's so much sharing going on it requires an entire series of posts at Luxarazzi. Is the Sisterhood of the Traveling Royal Wardrobe always a good idea? Nope. But it is always just a little bit sweet.

Photos: NOS/Getty Images/@RTLNieuwsNL

Share with your friends

Give us your opinion

Notification
Wondering what style of flower bouquets you'll choose for your big day?
Done